I like to be original. Therefore, I want my man to be original in the ways he expresses his love to me as well. Don’t misunderstand. I like flowers, going out to dinner, candy and perfume, but I don’t want those things on Valentine’s day. What’s romantic about receiving the same gift every other woman in the world is receiving? Or, what’s romantic about sitting in a restaurant with a hundred or so other couples you don’t even know? In my opinion, nothing.
I want to be special, don’t you? Of course you do! But let’s be honest. It’s hard to come up with new ways to say “I love you” year after year. That’s why I want to share with you these 21 great and inexpensive ways to tell the love of your life just how much you care.
1. Make a homemade card with a picture of the two of you on the cover. Get ideas for a verse by spending a few minutes browsing through a card shop.
2. Write a poem. It doesn’t have to rhyme.
3. Send a love letter listing the reasons “Why I love you so much.”
4. Pledge your love for a lifetime. Write it on calligraphy or design it on a desktop computer and print it out on parchment paper and have it framed.
5. Plan a surprise lunch, complete with picnic basket, sparkling grape juice and goblets. I love this!
6. Bake a giant cookie and write “I love you” with heart shaped redhots or frosting. (Don’t worry about the calories, it’s not for eating! Wink-wink)
7. Make a coupon book and include coupons for a back rub, a compromise when about to lose an argument, a listening ear when needed, etc.
8. Kidnap the car for a thorough washing and detailing.
9. Design your personal crest combining symbols that are meaningful to both of you.
10. Compose a love song.
11. Arrange for someone to sing a favorite love song to you and your love when you’re together.
12. Call a radio station and have them announce a love message from you and make sure your love is listening at the right time.
13. Make a big sign such as: “I Love You,_____. Love, (your name)” and put it in front of your house or her apartment complex for the world to see.
14. Buy favorite fruits that aren’t in season, like a basket of strawberries or blueberries. Then, feed them to your spouse.
15. Hide little love notes in the car, a coat pocket, desk, purse or diaper bag.
16. Place a love message in the “personal” section of the classified ads in your local paper.
17. Florist flowers aren’t the only way to say “I love you.” Pluck a single flower and write a message about how its beauty reminds you of your love. For greater impact, have it delivered at work.
18. Prepare a surprise candle light gourmet low-calorie dinner for two.
19. Write the story of the growth of your relationship from your perspective, sharing your emotions and your joys. What a treasure!
20. Make a paperweight from a smooth stone, paint it, and write a special love message on it.
21. Promise to change a habit that your love has been wanting you to change.
Micca Campbell-Helping Women Live Carefree in God’s Care